This blog will explain the option of integrating customer transports into the SUM upgrade.
Questions that will be answered are:
- Why should I integrate customer transport requests into the SUM upgrade?
- How do I integrate customer transport requests into the SUM upgrade?
- How to check the RC import code of the customer transport requests included into the SUM upgrade?
Why should I integrate customer transport requests into SUM upgrade?
After an upgrade (especially to S4HANA) there can be a large amount of customer transports needed for S4HANA customer code fixes and fixes for the S4HANA upgrade itself (Z code fixes and OSS notes). All these transports will have to be imported in the production system and take time. For a larger system these transport can add up ranging from 1 to 4 hours import and check time. This is all added to the business downtime of the upgrade. By integrating the customer transports into the SUM upgrade, these transports will now be imported by SUM tool in the system build, saving you the import time. As a result the business down time is decreased. If you have a larger system with high pressure on reducing business downtime, this method is worth while to look at.
How to integrate customer transport request in SUM upgrade?
Activate SICF service SCTS_DIST_CTL_UPGINT_UI. Then start transaction SUPGINT_APP:
Press next to select the system:
Next and select Create new Task:
Now select all the transports (select carefully the ones you want to include):
On the next screen confirm the selection and then download the buffer file.
This buffer file you can use in the SUM upgrade tool.
The transport will be imported as part of the shadow build.
RC code handling and import history
The RC code handling of the customer transports has to be done from the SUM tool logging. See OSS note 2964187 – customer transports included in upgrade: returncode handling. This explains to check for RC-8 code of the customer transports.
The customer transports are not visible in the import history. When this is wanted, carry out the procedure as described in OSS note 2772908 – Customer transports involved in an upgrade are not visible in the import history.
- SAP blog on integration customer transports
- Reference note: 1759080 – Prerequisites and restrictions of Customer Transport Integration with SUM.
- Wizard information: 2450902 – Customer Transport Integration Wizard
- SAP help link and how to integrate the file into SUM on this help link