After update of a FIORI app UI5 code you will sometimes face issues that the browser or server still holds components from the old app version. This issue is there for both custom developed and for standard SAP UI5 apps. The root cause is the caching at multiple levels to assure highest performance. There are caches on frontend browser, gateway server and backend server.
Questions that will be answered are:
- What do I need to do on the browser for refresh?
- How do I clear the caches on the gateway frontend server?
- How do I clear the caches on the backend server?
Browser cache refresh
After an update of the UI code best to clear the browser cache. In Chrome also: open the application in chrome and use key combination ctrl + shift + R to perform a hard reload.
Or run in Private or Incognito mode.
Best browser for testing is Chrome.
Gateway and backend server cache clearing
Use the following sequence to clear all caches:
1. Execute /IWBEP/CACHE_CLEANUP transaction in ECC system (or other backend system) as well as Gateway system (this is program /IWBEP/R_MGW_MED_CACHE_CLEANUP) .
2. Execute /IWFND/CACHE_CLEANUP transaction in Gateway system with checkbox checked (this is program /IWFND/R_MED_CACHE_CLEANUP).
3. In the gateway system, you need to do the below steps:
- Go to transaction SMICM
- Click on ‘Goto’ menu bar button
- Select option ‘HTTP Plug-In’ Select option ‘Server Cache’
- Select option ‘Invalidate Globally’
4. Execute reports /UI2/INVALIDATE_GLOBAL_CACHES, /UI2/INVALIDATE_CLIENT_CACHES, /UI5/APP_INDEX_CALCULATE in front-end gateway system.
For the last program (/UI5/APP_INDEX_CALCULATE) you can do a delta or full for all or for a specific application.
Note on the cache cleanup: 2319491 – How to clean up the cache after applying changes that affect SAP Fiori apps.
More background on caching can be found in OSS note 2626394 – Troubleshooting Fiori Apps Cache issue – how to information.
Other interesting OSS notes:
- 2681796 – Fiori App Error “Could not open app. Please try again later”
- 2792008 – SAPUI5 changes in SE80 are not reflected when running the application
- 2884411 – Common errors in log for /UI5/APP_INDEX_CALCULATE
Bug fix notes: